Tuesday, November 27, 2007
Monday afternoon was pretty good sailing. I went out during lunch and rigged a 6.0 and was nicely powered. Was out for an hour and went on the east side, west side and the House of Refuge. When I got back quite a few sailors were rigging up. Great time, wish I could have stayed longer!
Sunday, November 25, 2007
Okay Okay Saturday the wind was a bit light. But hey we spent some time streaching those muscles and getting ready for SUNDAY! Wow what a nice day Sunday turned out to be, the weatherman got one day right. Rigged a 7.0 and spent most my time at or near the House of refuge. I saw Dino and Dick out there and Canadian Dave, Joel, Marion, Ron, Ingrid, Jerry and Kathy on the east side of the river. Photos to be posted Monday or Tuesday.....hopefully.
Expecting high winds, (15 - 20) according to most weather reports, it was disappointing to find little to no wind, unless you had a formula board and a humongous sail. Feeling my usual optimistic self, at least about the wind, I talked Dave into rigging his biggest sail and we set off in search of it expecting at least some planing time. After about 2 hours on the water chasing the ever elusive windy spots on the south side of the causeway, and having planed total time of maybe 5 minutes, we called it quits knowing that we still have a chance to sail on Sunday.
Saturday, November 24, 2007
Wednesday, November 21, 2007
Monday, November 19, 2007
Saturday, November 17, 2007
Friday the wind came in as predicted. So, I took an early lunch and was on the water from 11:10 to 12:30. It was great, rigged a 6.0 and was nicely powered. Wind was out of the NNW skies were clear and it was 60 degrees. On the east and west side of the river the water was fairly flat so it was easy to gybe. Greg (Kawabunga) was on the water when I got there. He got me dialed into the right size sail. When I took off Dick showed up and I saw Greg heading out again, but then I didn't see him anymore. Turns out he broke his fin and when he was heading back his boom broke. I had to stop after an hour, much to my chagrin. Art, Joel, Jerry and Marion were heading out when I came in. I had a great time but wished I could have stayed all day.
Tuesday, November 13, 2007
A few months ago, after work, Dino and I went out to the House of Refuge. The wind was blowing HARD! I rigged a 4.5 sail on a 88 liter board and the tide was high. This track was downloaded from a garmin gps on to google earth. It was cool because the sandbars didn't pose any problems because of the tide. The wind did start to fade. I struggled west of IRP Marina to get back to the west island.
Wind this past weekend was a bit more than predicted. Went out Saturday afternoon on a 7.0 and it wasn't quite big enough. Had to drag out the 8.5 and was nicely powered. The wind was N - NNE and appeared to be filled in more on the east side just south of Joes Point. Looked like it would have been easier from the Sailing Center. Didn't get out Sunday but I think the condition were the same. Forecasts show a front coming through late Thursday and NOAA calls for 15 - 20 on Friday.
Thursday, November 8, 2007
I stopped by the causeway Wednesday at 4:00 pm while I was working. There was a nice northerly wind blowing and everyone was de-rigging and going home, except for Brandon who just got on the water. Then I had to go back to work....ugh.
Monday, November 5, 2007
Sunday, November 4, 2007
Had a nice breeze come up Saturday afternoon. A lot of people sailing on the causeway. Most sailing 6.5's and it was sunny and cool. I spent most my time at Joes cove and just south of the Jensen causeway. Water was flatter especialy in the cove. With the very high tide there was no problem with the sand bars. Art was up there and seemed to be enjoying himself. Friday late afternoon the wind came up big time after the front pushed through, Dino and Brandon were on 5.0's while I was in a restaurant stuffing my face (again) with Italian food. I shouldn't complain, the family took me out to dinner. Thursday we rigged 6.0's and I was set to have a good time. Wind was cranking and it was mostly sunny. Took off and was out in the channel heading for the sailing center and broke my mast. Had to de-rig, swim to the west island, stow my gear and jog over the bridge to get my vehicle. Turned into a triathalon of sorts!