Monday, December 20, 2010

Sunset Sailing

I was able to get out on the water late this afternoon and it turned out better than expected. David D was packing up and James was out on an 8.5. Wind was NNW and it was backing off slowly, wind line said 16 gusting to 25 when I got there. It looked 7.0 to me but David and Gaetan were steering me towards an 8.5. If I have to wear a full wetsuit I really don't want to be sailing an 8.5. So I rigged a 7.0 and by the time I dragged it to the water the wind didn't look that good. I had a 48cm fin on my 118L bic and it was enough to get me planing. Once I got far enough north of the island the wind was pretty consistant from the channel to the east side. I stayed out an hour, the sky was clear and on a west tack I was sailing into a setting sun on a east tack was a rising moon!
Last time I was on the water was 12/12. The wind was SW and pretty gusty. I rigged a 5.2 on a 285 axxis. When the gusts came through it was scarry fast and the holes left me floundering on the 88L board. But it was fun all the same.

No comments: