Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Blasting out at The House

Ron, Dino and I had an awesome time blasting around on the river yesterday evening. I rigged a 6.0 and the wind was out of the south. It was sunny with a slight haze so the western sky had an orange glow as the sun started to set. We were making runs from the House of Refuge, between the spoil islands to the west side of the channel. At times we were running very close to each other and it was all speed and adrenalin! Just before the sun was about to go behind some cloud cover, low on the horizon, we started heading back. I took my time and made another run out to the spoil island. The wind was shutting down as I made my way back. I spotted Ron in the water and went over to see what was wrong. The end of his UJ sheared off and Dino was going in to get another one. Ron realized he wouldn't be able to use it without being able to remove the piece stuck in the base. So He was going to de-rig and swim in. By this time the wind was very light as I headed in. I told Dino what was going on as he was heading back out. At one point I saw this huge splash and then another as a spinner shark came out of the water near the IR Plantation marina. I thought if Ron see's this he will be walking across the water. When I got back to the causeway I jumped in the truck in search of a boater or kayaker but found none. Ron ended up swimming his gear in but lost his sail in the process.

No comments: