Thursday, October 22, 2009

Cool front ends doldrums

Between windsurfing and working there hasn't been anytime for blogging. Six straight days on the water, it doesn't get any better than that! Friday my last post marked the approach of a much needed cool front, that week the temps were in the low 90's.
Saturday the wind was NNW and for most of the day it was overcast and cool. I rigged an 8.5 on the formula and went out around 3:00. Art, Dino, Austin, Ron T and David were on the water. As the skies cleared we had a cookout at one of the pavilions and watched the sunset.
Sunday the best wind was early and it was still straight down the river. Greg, "aka Kawabunga", was already on the water when I arrived. I rigged a 7.0 and Art joined me as we headed about 1/4 mile north of the causeway and made runs back and forth across the river. Huge gust would come through and you would have thoughts of rigging smaller. Then the wind would go slack and it would leave you wondering if that was it. I saw about 5 kites on the causeway island but with all the holes they couldn't go out. The wind shifted to the west some and backed off slightly, we were forced closer to the causeway. Eventually I saw Andrea, Dino, Austin, David, Dick and a few others on the water.
Monday the wind was up and down and blowing out of the NNE. While rigging a 7.0 Mitch showed up, David, Art and Alex were on the water. I got one good ride in, blasted up to the Jensen Causeway and back.
Tuesday the wind clocked around to the east. It was ESE when I arrived. Jon told me he was well powered on a 5.8 when he was on the north side. Looking south the wind was light just south of the causeway, with binoculars you could see wind driven chop out at the House of Refuge. I rigged a 7.0 and schlogged out, once I hit the windline I had huge power. I made a few runs and it was too much. Ron T. and Jon were racing around, Art and Dave were on the water as well. When I got back to the island Dino and Austin were heading out. I rigged a 6.0 on a 92L synchro, I have been waiting 6 months to ride it, how sweet was that? I was out about an hour and then switched the sail over to the 118L techno 2. We sailed till atleast 6:30.
Wednesday the wind was still ESE. Ron T was sailing an 8.5, David and Art were on 7.5’s. When I was rigging my 7.0 Ron started packing up, he gave some weak excuse about a 20th wedding anniversary. Just kidding, congratulations to Ron and his wife! I put a 48cm fin on just to make sure I could plane up easily. It worked well and was having a lot of fun. Brandon blew past me once, he was having a good time. Chris was on the water as well but I’m not sure what he rigged. Dino and Austin showed up followed later by Dr. Connelly.

1 comment:

James Douglass said...

Hey Dave! Come on up and sail that 92 liter board in the ocean at the Fort Pierce Jetty. I've been powered on 5.5 there every day this week. (Videos on my blog.) :)