Saturday, March 28, 2009

Dino Video 3/28

Saturday closes out the week as another great day on the water. Wind was SSE and mostly sunny. I rigged a 5.1 on my 88L board and headed for the House of Refuge. On the way out I was wishing I had rigged a 4.5, so I had plenty of speed. Art was already out there (I wonder if he rents a room at the House of Refuge?) and we buzzed around awhile. James showed up followed later by Brandon. After 2 hours I headed back after putting more downhaul on the sail. When I got back to the causeway most everyone had left. Dino, Brandon, James and a few others were still at it.

Ron T heading west
3/27 I was looking forward to an easy sail on friday since I missed all the wind this week due to a cold. Art and Dorian were at the causeway, wind was out of the SE. I rigged a 6.0 on a 94L board and was slightly underpowered. Within 15 minutes the wind came up huge but I proceeded out to the House of Refuge. I stopped and gave the sail a lot of downhaul and made some runs. I got hit by a huge gust and tailwalked for about 10 yards and decided to make my way back to the causeway. There was a lot of sailors rigging 4.5s and the railings on the bridge were humming!

Clark video quick tack

Thursday, March 26, 2009

3/25 Clark and Dino at the House of Refuge

3/25 David, James & Kathy in the water

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Today looked like a great day on the water. I wasn't able to go out because of a cold but I did shoot some photos.

3/25 Clark in a lay down jibe

Saturday Eugene heads in

Saturday Willa spent most of the time in the truck, except for the time James was eating his lunch.
3/20 - 3/22 Friday after work Ron T was on the water and Art was packing up. The wind (N)wasn't blowing like we expected. Dino showed up and I could tell by his demeanor he wasn't going to rig. He was muttering about the cold, no sun and light wind, very unusual. So I rigged a 7.0 on a 118L board with a big fin. I was out 20 minutes and had to come in and switch fins. Ron and I sailed close to sunset, a nice way to end the week.
Saturday afternoon I rigged a 6.0 and went out on a 94L board I borrowed from Dave M. There was a lot of sailors out from both islands of the causeway. The wind was out of the NE and you could hardly feel it at times on the east island. After you got out a couple hundred yards it was pretty filled in and you could sail right up to the Jensen causeway.
Sunday afternoon the wind had turned and we were sailing on the south side of the east island. I rigged a 7.0 on my 118L board and when the gusts came through I had plenty of sail. My first run was heading south down the channel past the spoil island and back. I thought it would be a fun time but the gusts became infrequent and seemed more like work.

Alex and unknown sailor

Monday, March 16, 2009

Alex video

Alex performs a spock followed by a helicopter tack
Wow 4 good days of good windsurfing. Sunday the wind took a while to come up, fortunately I waited and rigged a 6.0 on the 88L board. I had plenty of power, wind was out of the SSE and it was mostly sunny. A lot of windsurfers and some kite boarders on the water. I sailed with Dave M., Dick, Henry and Ron T. out at the House of Refuge. I saw David, Dorian, Joel, Alex, Fred, Jon, Andrea, Dino and a few others on the water. What a great day it was.

Alex powered up

Sunday, March 15, 2009

On Monday the forecast for the week didn't look all that promising. In mid week NOAA hourly report was showing some wind. Late Thursday I arrived at the causeway and Ron T. and Dino were out. I rigged an 8.5 on the formula board and had a pretty decent ride. Friday was the same scenero but when I rigged the 8.5 I found a broken batten so I rigged my 7.0. The wind really filled in so I went out on my 118L board. Ron T. was struggling with his 9.0 and Dino broke a panel on his 8.4 and they both headed in. I was buzzing around near the House of Refuge and the spoil island for an hour and Dino finally came out on his 7.4. We ended up tearing around the causeway till sunset. Saturday I didn' get to the causeway till 2:30 and there was kite boarders and windsurfers on the water. I rigged a 6.0 on my 88L board and headed out to the House of refuge with Henry. Dave M. and Dick were already there and we had a great time buzzing around. Don came out on a formula board with a 9.2, dang he was fast. When we got back to the causeway most everyone had packed up and left. Alex was finishing up and Brandon was rigging.

Monday, March 9, 2009

Saturday, 3/7, I arrived at the causeway at 11:00 and Dorian was out on a 120L board with his 7.5. He wasn't planing but I could see gusts and the wind line was saying 17 - 21 out of the SE. I rigged an 8.5 on the formula board and was out at the House of Refuge in no time. I had plenty of wind and thought maybe I had rigged to big because it was forecasted to come up some in the afternoon. I was out an hour and then the wind started backing off. I made my way back to the island and saw 5 sails south of the west island and people rigging on the east island. Fred, Dino, Austin and Clark were rigging and I decided to call it a day. That afternoon I checked the wind history on the Jensen web cam site and I hit a spike that lasted from 12:00 - 1:00. That doesn't happen to often.

Thursday, March 5, 2009

3/3 Wednesday I went out for an hour. Wind was out of the NE and I rigged an 8.5 on a formula board. I was powered up for 45 minutes and then the wind seemed to back off some. Art was out and I sailed up to the Jensen causeway and back. It was mostly cloudy and on the cool side. When I got back to the island Jon, Fred, Marion and Jack were there.

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

3/1 Jons cruising

Monday, March 2, 2009

3/1 Jerry executes a Duck Jibe

3/1 Dave M, David and Dino take a break while Henry looks on.
3/1 Sunday morning the wind was blowing hard out of the SW. As I drove across the bridge on the south side I saw a lot of windsurfers and kite boarders out. Shortly after I arrived at 12:30 the wind shifted to the W and started droping slowly for the rest of the day. By the time I rigged a 5.0 on a 88L board the temperture was droping and we were sailing on the north side. I sailed for maybe an hour and then there were to many holes so I called it quits. There was a lot of sailors out.

3/1 The wind was blowing so hard the kite boarders were leaping for joy.

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Saturday 2/28. I hadn't been on the water in over a week and was hoping the wind would pick up in the afternoon and it did. I got to the causeway at 1:30 and rigged a 7.0 on my 118L board. Wind was out of the SSE and I had plenty of power. I was sailing from the House of Refuge to the east side of the channel and back. I wasn't out to long and Art and Dave M showed up followed by Dino. We had a great time buzzing around and then I was jibing and ran out of water and broke my fin. Geeze you really don't appreciate your fin until you try sailing without one. Art and Dave kept an eye on me and offered advice as I made my way back to the island.
Today is forecasted for big wind out of the SW and I hope to get out there in the afternoon.