Thursday, July 30, 2009

Storm sailing

Sunday afternoon Art, Dino, Austin, Ron T and I were at the causeway. The afternoon storms were already developing and the wind was building. I rigged an 8.5 on the formula board and was out briefly when the lightning was getting a little to close. Shortly after getting back to the island the rain came and the lightning was flashing around us. All of us stood under the bridge as the storm cell moved off. At this point no boats or jet skies were on the water and it was flat with some real nice gusts coming through but the lightning was still overhead so all we could do was watch. Eventually we were able to get back out, it was nice to sail with a group of people again.

Wednesday was forecasted to have good wind but a storm cell formed right over the causeway and shut down the wind. Dino was able to catch 20 minutes of wind before this happened. I waited to see if it would build after the storm. I rigged the 8.5 and Art was on his 7.5 and it looked doable at first but then it faded. I was on a plane for 1 minute and schlooged the next 45.

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Thursday I rigged a 8.5 on my formula board and was out two hours. The first hour was a little slow and then the wind filled in. There was a lot of seaweed that fouled my fin frequently. All week the wind would be out of the west and then around 3 or 4 it would clock around to the southeast and fill in.
Saturday I was late getting to the causeway. the wind came up at 4 and I arrived at 6. I rigged a 7.0 on my 118L board. When the gusts came through I was nicely powered and it looked like the wind might come up more. There was a storm cell to the SW and one to the N. At 7 it filled in nicely and I had good wind for half an hour and then the rain and lightning came. When I arrived at the causeway the tide was very high and still coming in. The water in the channel was very clear and cool, made me want to jump off my board and go swimming.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Alex looking for the wind to fill in

Suprised again!

Tuesday we were still under the influence of a westerly flow but it was flowin a tad more than usual. When I got there it was blowing 16 - 24 and Art was on a 7.5 and Dino a 7.2. Dang it was hot, usually it is cooler when you get to the causeway but the west wind was bringing on the heat. I rigged a 7.0 on my 118L board and headed south on the east side of the channel and then the channel itself. The wind was clocking around more towards the north and Dino suggested sailing on the north side of the island where he just came from. So I sailed from causeway to causeway and for the most part was nicely powered. Occasionaly it would fade out and left you wondering if you'd make it back. Alex was out doing his freestyle thing and Chris was on the water as well. I had a great session and was happy to be on a 7.0.

Monday, July 6, 2009

Chris taking advantage of the afternoon breeze

pleasently suprised

Sunday I was on the water at 4:00 riding the formula board with an 8.5. When I was driving across the causeway Art was heading out on his 7.5 and he looked well powered. I considered rigging a 7.0 but by the time I was in the water the wind had backed down. It was a challenge getting out with the light wind, boats, jet skies and chop. I schloged for half and hour and then the wind filled in and I was well powered. I sailed with Art on the east side of the channel north of the spoil island and the wind was out of the SSE. The wind stayed up for an hour and then faded. By the time I got back to the causeway it picked up again. Chris was heading out and if I knew the wind was going to stay up I would have rigged my 7.0. I was making runs back and forth across the river just south of the causeway. The boat traffic had died and there was a lot less chop. Two kite boarders were out and the wind was the strongest it had been all day. I quit at 7:00 and Art came in soon after, he said this was the best it had been in several weeks.