Thursday, March 31, 2011

Two Days of Strong SW/West Winds

James got caught on the North side of the Causeway after the wind completely died off.
Earlier in the day the winds were from the SW gusting to 40 at times. It's not often we get such strong winds and usually they last a bit longer, but with the cold front looming just north of us, the winds started to shift to the W/NW and most of us switched to the north side of the causeway and larger sails.
The SW winds started on Wednesday and while I was on the 7.0m, most used sail was in the 6.0 range. Thursday the winds kicked up a notch and 4.0 - 4.5m was what most of the sailors opted for. I decided to go home and get my sinker wave board, which proved to be a mistake since, by the time I got back, the winds were shifting and the lulls would have made it very difficult to get back to the causeway. After sailing thru the bridge on the 5.0m/92l board, I had a few good runs to the Jensen Bridge and was joined by Art, James, Ron and Canadian Dave who happen to have the correct rig and board, because he was able to plane by me on the few runs we made, while I schlogged thru the lulls. Ron and I rigged the 6 meter sails and made one run when the winds shut off and while Ron was able to barely uphaul his 6.6m sail on his sinker board, James was not so lucky. A boat anchored just off the causeway had a dingy they used to tow James back to shore.

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Dude it was blowing today

The last forecast I saw for Sunday showed 13 mph from the SE. When I arrived at 2:00 today it was mostly sunny and the wind was blowing out of the south and the river was covered in white caps. At 2:30 the wind line said 24 - 28 mph. I rigged a 6.0 on my 118L Bic and I had plenty of power. Art was already at the House of refuge and Dorean was packing up. Dino, Ron and I headed up to the spoil island and had a blast up in the flatter water. I was out almost three hours and was pretty fatigued coming back. Jon and James showed up about this time and Brandon showed up a bit later.

Sailing Center Windsurfing Event

Click here for more information regarding event.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Saturday I drove up to the Ft Pierce inlet at 3:00. It was a bright sunny day and the wind was out of the NE. I rigged a 7.0 on on my 118L freeride and was under powered. The kite boarders were packing up as I went out so I guess I got there to late. Their was another windsurfer from Canada and he rigged a 7.5 and he was under powered as well.
Tuesday the wind was out of the SE and I arrived at the causeway after work and rigged a 7.0. Most everyone was packing up so I had the river to myself. I was very well powered and had a good session.

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Sailing Center Windsurfing event

On April 9th the sailing center will be hosting a windsurfing event that will feature demos and a swap meet. Click here for all the info.

Friday, March 4, 2011

John Jupiter Inlet from 3/2/11

Mike and John Jupiter Inlet from 3/2/11

Another good day at the causeway

Dino said it wasn't quite as good as yesterday so when I arrived after work I rigged a 7.0 on my Bic and had a pretty decent sail. Dino, Ron T, Clark, Dennis and Mike C. were finishing up. I saw Brandon and Alex but I am not sure if they sailed. I was out about 45 and sailed with Mike. Tammy and Willa came down and we ate dinner and watched the sunset.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Drag racing at the causeway

It was a fluke that I was even able to get there but at noon time I was able to go sailing. Wind was out of the east 22 - 25 and it was nice and sunny. Dennis, Dino, Ron T., James, Connelly and I were racing up and down the channel south of the Stuart causeway and it was a blast! David was out at the House of Refuge and it was good to see Clark get out on the water as well.
Yesterday at lunch I went down to the Jupiter inlet but I didn't rig because it looked marginal. John and Mike showed up and went out and seemed to be doing fairly well. Mike pointed out that I should put my 6.0 on my 118L freeride board but I had to get back to work. So after work I went back and rigged what Mike suggested and it was doable. By this time the tide was up and some large swells were coming in and it made it interesting.