Monday, December 17, 2007

Tuesday NOAA predicts 15 -20 out of the NE and Accuweather shows 71 degrees at lunch.

12/16/07 Joel setting up for a gybe.
Sunday afternoon after the rain blew through the skies cleared and the wind filled in out of the NW. I spent two hours on the water. A lot of people were out and I sailed with Dino some.

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Where's the wind?

12/9/07 Ron and Ingrid
I had a fun time on the water Saturday afternoon. I was heading to the House of Refuge at 1:00 and rigged a 6.0. I made it just in time because the wind backed off some and made it hard for others to get out. Art was there and I sailed with him a bit and then he headed back. The water was flat and gusts were huge and then they would fade and at times left me wondering if I should head back. Ended up with two good hours at the refuge.
Today they predict winds 15 - 20 SW becoming NW. This morning at 6:00 huge gust were coming through western PSL and now it has backed off some. Looks like early Monday morning we will have huge wind coming down the coast at 7:00 am but bundle up its supposed to be 47.

Monday, December 10, 2007

Sunday turned out to be a fun time on the water. Wind was on the lite side, had to rig an 8.5 and a 48cm fin. No chance of sneaking over a sandbar! I was on the water at 1:00 and stayed out 2 hours. Afterward I took some photos and was packing it up when Dino comes in and says the wind is building. Sure enough you could see the gust coming closer to the causeway, so back on the water we go. We had a blast racing around as the sun was going down.

James finishing off a gybe.


Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Monday afternoon was pretty good sailing. I went out during lunch and rigged a 6.0 and was nicely powered. Was out for an hour and went on the east side, west side and the House of Refuge. When I got back quite a few sailors were rigging up. Great time, wish I could have stayed longer!


Who's got that donut?

Ron's completing his pivot gybe


Jerry's headin' east


Sunday, November 25, 2007

Okay Okay Saturday the wind was a bit light. But hey we spent some time streaching those muscles and getting ready for SUNDAY! Wow what a nice day Sunday turned out to be, the weatherman got one day right. Rigged a 7.0 and spent most my time at or near the House of refuge. I saw Dino and Dick out there and Canadian Dave, Joel, Marion, Ron, Ingrid, Jerry and Kathy on the east side of the river. Photos to be posted Monday or Tuesday.....hopefully.

Not quite enough wind!

Expecting high winds, (15 - 20) according to most weather reports, it was disappointing to find little to no wind, unless you had a formula board and a humongous sail. Feeling my usual optimistic self, at least about the wind, I talked Dave into rigging his biggest sail and we set off in search of it expecting at least some planing time. After about 2 hours on the water chasing the ever elusive windy spots on the south side of the causeway, and having planed total time of maybe 5 minutes, we called it quits knowing that we still have a chance to sail on Sunday.

Saturday, November 24, 2007

Jon goes airborne

10/30/07 Ft Pierce S. Jetty Park. 40mph winds from Tropical Storm Noel and 12' surf propel Jon skyward. Photo from the front page of the Palm Beach Post 10/31/07.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Dino calls it a day

11/20/07 What do you mean I have to come in the suns still up!

Brandon heads in

11/20/7 Brandon hauling out the big rig!

Canadian Dave

10/7/07 Canadian Dave heading out.

Monday, November 19, 2007

It look like a front will be coming in this weekend. NOAA shows south winds Saturday 15-20 knots. IWindsurf shows the same for Sunday.

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Friday the wind came in as predicted. So, I took an early lunch and was on the water from 11:10 to 12:30. It was great, rigged a 6.0 and was nicely powered. Wind was out of the NNW skies were clear and it was 60 degrees. On the east and west side of the river the water was fairly flat so it was easy to gybe. Greg (Kawabunga) was on the water when I got there. He got me dialed into the right size sail. When I took off Dick showed up and I saw Greg heading out again, but then I didn't see him anymore. Turns out he broke his fin and when he was heading back his boom broke. I had to stop after an hour, much to my chagrin. Art, Joel, Jerry and Marion were heading out when I came in. I had a great time but wished I could have stayed all day.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

gps track

A few months ago, after work, Dino and I went out to the House of Refuge. The wind was blowing HARD! I rigged a 4.5 sail on a 88 liter board and the tide was high. This track was downloaded from a garmin gps on to google earth. It was cool because the sandbars didn't pose any problems because of the tide. The wind did start to fade. I struggled west of IRP Marina to get back to the west island.
Wind this past weekend was a bit more than predicted. Went out Saturday afternoon on a 7.0 and it wasn't quite big enough. Had to drag out the 8.5 and was nicely powered. The wind was N - NNE and appeared to be filled in more on the east side just south of Joes Point. Looked like it would have been easier from the Sailing Center. Didn't get out Sunday but I think the condition were the same. Forecasts show a front coming through late Thursday and NOAA calls for 15 - 20 on Friday.

Thursday, November 8, 2007

Roger takes on the young guys!

10/7/07 Roger on the left. Dorian on the right.
I stopped by the causeway Wednesday at 4:00 pm while I was working. There was a nice northerly wind blowing and everyone was de-rigging and going home, except for Brandon who just got on the water. Then I had to go back to work....ugh.

Monday, November 5, 2007

Dick gybing

10/6/07 Dick is set to flip that sail.

Andrea on the water

10/7/07 Andrea's powering up.

Sunday, November 4, 2007

Had a nice breeze come up Saturday afternoon. A lot of people sailing on the causeway. Most sailing 6.5's and it was sunny and cool. I spent most my time at Joes cove and just south of the Jensen causeway. Water was flatter especialy in the cove. With the very high tide there was no problem with the sand bars. Art was up there and seemed to be enjoying himself. Friday late afternoon the wind came up big time after the front pushed through, Dino and Brandon were on 5.0's while I was in a restaurant stuffing my face (again) with Italian food. I shouldn't complain, the family took me out to dinner. Thursday we rigged 6.0's and I was set to have a good time. Wind was cranking and it was mostly sunny. Took off and was out in the channel heading for the sailing center and broke my mast. Had to de-rig, swim to the west island, stow my gear and jog over the bridge to get my vehicle. Turned into a triathalon of sorts!

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Henry & Roger

10/7/07 Henry (center) Roger (right)
Wow, another great evening of sailing. So Brandon, Dino and I were out at the House of Refuge. Forecasts show huge wind again for today and tomorrow. I haven't been able to get any photos because it has been rush down to the causeway, rig and sail till sunset. Dino pointed out that this is the last week of day light savings time, and it is ending with a bang. Geez that means no more week day sailing for us working people, although I do have some sick time I can use.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Whoo Hoo - Good wind on Monday. I arrived at 4:30 and most everyone was packing up. I rigged a 6.0 and as I looked towards the House of Refuge I wondered if it would be big enough. I wasn't out there 30 minutes and wished I had a 5.0. Huge wind forecasted through Thursday.

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Sunday afternoon turned out to be fairly good sailing. Saw a lot of folks on the water, looked like the wind was a bit better on the north side of the bridge. Late in the afternoon Dino (Mr Speed) showed up rigged his double luff sale and everyone left......whats up with that?

NOAA forecast 10/29 - 11/1

Wow - Monday - Wednesday 20 - 25 with gale force gusts. IWindsurf shows Tuesday, best day

Sunrise House of Refuge

Friday, October 26, 2007

So much for a breezy weekend the breeze was Thursday afternoon...big time. While some people were out feeding their wind addiction others sat in a local mexican restaurant stuffing their faces. Noaa shows a breezy Monday and Tuesday, we will see.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Tuesday, October 23, 2007