Monday, February 1, 2010

Flat water blasting to wave sailing, all in one weekend!

Saturday the wind was out of the south and shifting westward with the approaching front. I arrived at the causeway around 10:30 and rigged a 7.0 on my 118L board. Dorian was out on a 6.0 and was underpowered but he was expecting the wind to build. I had a good 2 hours on the water but as the wind clocked westward and dragged some clouds with it the holes got bigger and bigger. When I finished there was a lot of windsurfers and a handful of kitters at the causeway. I tried to take some pictures but two sets of batteries failed me. There was over a dozen rigs laying on the beach.
Sunday the wind was blowing out of the north at 22 mph. I met James D at the south jetty in Ft Pierce and Jon was there as well. That is the neatest place to learn to wave sail, the water on the south side of the jetty is flat and on an outgoing tide a nice clean swell is awaiting at the end of the jetty. I rigged a 5.2 (thanks James for loaning me the sail) on my 92L synchro and was nicely powered. To me the swell looked huge (Jon said waist high) but on the river the biggest I see is cabin cruiser wake. So for the first hour or so I was just getting used to this rolling landscape. I can't wait to go out again, maybe on a good southeast wind I will try the north jetty, although southeast at the House of Refuge is hard to beat.

1 comment:

James Douglass said...

Hey Dave! It was awesome that you came out yesterday. Those were definitely some fun conditions. North Jetty on a SE wind is tougher because you actually have to sail over some breaking waves to get out, but as long as the waves aren't too huge it is relatively easy.