Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Exceptional Weekend for Windsurfing

Although there was only a light breeze out of the south with sunny skies, Saturday was a beautiful day for the Causeway Cookout! We had a real nice turnout with great food and music.

Sunday the wind came in huge out of the south. I arrived around 1:00 and the causeway was crowded with windsurfers! I rigged a 6.0 on my 101L futura and had a hard time getting out to the House of Refuge. The wind gusts were narrow and chop was heavy, by they time you got on plane the gust had faded and the chop would take you off plane. Once I got up there the wind really filled in. Ron, James and I were making runs from the Refuge heading west passing south of the spoil island and out in the channel. When the gusts came in the speeds were incredible. I sailed with them for a bit and then went searching for flatter water to make some speed runs. Heading back to the causeway was dicey!!! I was way overpowered.

No comments: