Saturday, August 30, 2008


Wow today turned out to be a great day on the water, except if you are flying a plane! I showed up at 2:00 and most everyone was on 7.0's. There was quite a few sailors out. I saw Dorian, Fred, David, Richard, Ron, Bill, Tom, Dino, Austin, Brandon and Dick. I rigged a 7.0 and put on a big fin because the wind looked borderline 7.0. The wind was actually bands from Hurricane Gustav which is at the west end of Cuba! I made my way out to the House of Refuge and when the wind filled in with heavy chop the fin made the board a bit unruly. I caught a huge gust in fairly flat water and headed off down wind, but I didn't keep the board perfectly flat and the back end started coming out of the water. To much air got under the board and I got hurled. Ended up laying on top of the sail looking at the sky. I was out about two hours and when I got back to the island Tow BoatUS was dragging an airplane to the boat ramp. The plane landed in the water on the south side of the west island. That was quite a sight. I was taking pictures and Dino and Austin hit the water. The wind filled in some so I swaped out to a smaller fin and went back out. After 40 minutes on the water my knees told me it was time to call it a day. This sure was better than Friday. Dino and I went out, I was on my formula board with a 10.5 and was only able to get on plane a couple times.

No comments: