Tuesday, May 12, 2009

We have been experiencing thermals starting to build around 1pm and then fading at sundown for the past 6 days or so. Sunday I was on the water at 3pm and sailed my formula board with an 8.5 for an hour. I was well powered and was tiring out so I switched over to my 118L board and went out for another hour. David and Art were on the water.
Monday after work I arrived at the causeway just as a storm let loose over Palm City. The wind had died and a few sailors were schlogging/swimming there rigs back to the island. Just 30 minutes before the wind line said 21 – 27 out of the south. Now we were getting down drafts out of the north, I was bummed. I was talking with Jon, Dorian, Fred, Ron, David and after a while the wind started to build out of the south. Art who was out previously grabbed a bigger board and headed out. I rigged a 7.0 on my 118L board and followed. Ron on a 9.0 and James on an 8.5 also came out. At first I thought rigging a 7.0 was a mistake but I was fairly well powered. We blasted around out near the House for almost two hours and then the wind backed off. I thought I would have to schlogg back but the wind came up. I ended up making some runs back and forth across the river just in front of both islands. The sun was setting and there was a lot of smoke on the horizon, I guess from the Indiantown fires.

No comments: